Don’t worry, the giant electric bolt you’ll see arcing across the night sky is perfectly safe. It’s Beakernight! Add fire, lasers, light and music and you’ve got the making of science’s biggest garden party with installations, hands-on experiences and stage performances spread out across Fort Calgary and the RiverWalk. Check out the drones and linger for a while with an inspirational cocktail in hand. Please, just watch your step – rumour has it that a UFO is on a collision course for Calgary.
By the way, there is no dress code. Really. This is a time to show the true you – as wild and wacky or as simple and true as you feel in your inner core. Show up! Want some ideas? Check out the new Beakerhead digs at 1405 4 St SW, and get inspired.
Beakernight has an official afterparty! Head to The Palace Theatre at 219 8 Ave SW at 11pm. Take in the British electronic music production duo Delta Heavy from London. They found fame with their 2012 single "Get By". Their latest album features a single called "Oscillator" – sciencey enough for ya?
Trying to decide how best to experience this spectacular sensory symposium? Here’s a breakdown of what’s going down on Beakernight!
Visit the Stage!
There are endless wonders to check out on Beakernight, but make sure you don’t miss these incredible shows!
6:00 pm – Stembryo
6:30 pm – Fire and Ice
7:00 pm – Science Genius Rap Battles
7:35 pm – Day One
9:15 pm – Stembryo
9:30 pm – Kyroman
7:30 pm – Fire and Ice
8:00 pm – Make Fashion Runway Show
8:30 pm – Fire and Ice
9:00 pm – Make Fashion Runway Show
9:30 pm – Fire and Ice
10:00 pm – Make Fashion Runway Show
10:30 pm – Fire and Ice
The larger-than-life installations at Fort Calgary
- Pulse and Bloom (Link to page)
- Garden Party (Link to Page)
- The Sextant Tesla Coil (Link to Page)
- Heavenly Bodies (Link to Page)
- The Blazing Lily Gals (Link to FB)
Get excited for awesome experiences
- Take a hot air balloon ride
- Try out the Human Gyroscope
- Dance at the Power Grid
- Take a selfie with Prism Portrait
- Ride the mechanical bull
- See the Living with Wildlife video projections
- Get excite for Autonomous Electric Motorsports AV obstacle course
- Visit the Enmax trailer for interactive fun and a photo booth
- Be a wizard with Chem Escape’s Harry Potter themed science experiments
- Reach new heights by taking a crane ride
- Find out what you can Grow at home with Grow Calgary
- Learn to code with Canada Learning Code
- Do the robot while checking our First Robotics’ robots
- Be inspired by Make Fashion’s LED clothing creations
- Solve puzzles and escaped from the Locked Room
- Take in the 180 Idea TED Talk
- Get hands on with interactive activities hosted by Scouts Canada, Roots to Stem and Monkey See Creative
The sights are only part of the fun!
- Listen to the sounds of Beakerhead with City of Ohm
- Head to the Glitter Piano for bursts of musical science busking
- Find Kyroman for a unique musical experience
- Witness an epic rap battle with Science Genius
- Hear your favourite scifi tracks with Stembryo
While most of the awesome stuff taking place will be stationary, there are a few moving marvels you’ll see throughout the night. Making Beakerhead the largest game of “Where’s Waldo”. See if you can hunt down
- Bowser from Mario Bros.
- R2D2 (no introduction necessary)
- SAIT’s Pi 2.0 pie-shaped art bicycle
- The Lumbering Contraption
- Tin Fish
Visit Beaker Bar and Chow Down on Food Truck Favourites
Yes. Beakernight has a bar. Yes. Beakernight has food trucks. So you won’t be hungry (or thirsty) while you are exploring all of the surrounding awesome! Bass Bus will be at Beakerbar so you can jam out to some DJ beats while sipping on a Beaker beer.
Photos by Michelle Hofer and Trevor Lalonde
750 9 Ave SE, Calgary