2017 PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT: SNAKES AND LADDERS
Flame-Spewing Serpents and the World’s First Municipal Space Station.
This September there’s a new way to explore Calgary … Beakerhead Snakes and Ladders.
Snakes and Ladders is a flagship feature of the fifth edition of Beakerhead running September 13-17, 2017, and is a Canada 150 project.
Beakerhead Snakes and Ladders
This is not a typical board game!
Step out to a larger-than-life adventure across more than a dozen sites of engineered artworks and interactive experiences, united by a theme: the ups and downs of invention. The snakes and ladders on the map are the guide to different jaunts.
The full map and guide will be released on August 1st!
A Sneak Peek at Beakerhead Snakes and Ladders
- Calgary Municipal Space Station. It was just a matter of time before public transit was extended to the solar system. A group of artists called Humble Wonder is turning the Calgary Tower into the world’s first public transit space station. Yes, virtual reality is involved.
- Serpent Mother. This is the largest fire-breathing installation at Beakerhead to date – stretching 168 feet long and with 40 pillars of fire.
- Nest. Tread quietly on 11 Street SE, just around the corner from MacLeod Trail. A giant dragon (or little dragons?) may lurk … It’s impossible to see exactly what’s behind the hoarding but it sure sounds ominous!
- Impulse. A premiere in western Canada by Montreal artists, Creos; these 15 giant see-saws are equipped with sound and lights and will animate River Walk in East Village.
Additional ticketed shows, hands-on workshops, roaming contraptions, theatre performances, and community-created events will explode on streets and in venues across the city – all in the name of smashing up art, science and engineering.
Tickets are now available for select Beakerhead shows:
- The Ape Inside You (Wednesday, September 13, 2017). Enjoy a hilarious look at the social and behavioural norms of apes with help of a primatologist and improv actors. You might see how primitive you and your friends really are …
- Science of Cats and Dogs (Thursday, September 14, 2017). An evening at the Bella Concert Hall exploring the ins and outs of our furry friends guided by scientists, musicians, and a bit of animal instinct.
- Seven Wonderers (Friday, September 15, 2017). The world of science and engineering is full of wonder…and wonderers. In fact, some say it holds the greatest adventure stories on earth – in the hands of the right storytellers. This is the third year for this always sold-out show.
Beakerhead 2017 is supported by more than 40 funders and sponsors, as well as a massive battery pack of community collaborators and program presenters.